Monday, February 22, 2010

Tour Duty: Liverpool (Home)

After the last 6 months of listening to commentary online, watching dodgy streams and enjoying the Spanish commentary whilst watching the games on TV, I finally reached my spiritual home of Eastlands.


Liverpool was the fixture and when I overheard some blues on the train talking about the snow in Manchester the reality started to hit me. 2 hours later I had arrived at Manchester Piccadilly and caught the 216 straight to Eastlands.

The first casualty of the starting lineup didn’t come from the squad, it came from the deflated Blue Roo which wasn’t match fit for travel and still recovering from some injuries incurred back home in his sun burnt country.

I arrived into the stadium at around 2pm to soak up the atmosphere and I must admit since my visit 5 years ago the place seemed to be a lot more polished and the vibe was better. Sitting in Mr Matt Coleman’s seat in the South Stand 1 I enjoyed some great views and was placed nicely right next to the red Scousers.

The game was always destined to end in a draw. Both sides really weren’t going for it and were hoping to get lucky late on in the game. It wasn’t the best game of football but just being back at Eastlands took away from what was being shown on the pitch. It was tense, scrappy and there were limited opportunities.

In the middle of the second half a bit of light snow came down and with my feet now numb all I could think about was Carlos Tevez’s banner of ‘Welcome to Manchester’.

The result was ok and the day out was great. Next week I’ll be cheering the blues on from Stamford Bridge and hopefully we can see City pull out the double of their rich rivals.

City til we die,
Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your comment here - why not put a username so we can refer to your post?